Zoning Board of Appeals
The Department of Planning and Community Development is now on OpenGov! Beginning on October 31, you will be able to file your application for the Zoning Board Of Appeals via mountvernonny.viewpointcloud.com. Learn More.
The Zoning Board of Appeals is composed of five members.
The Zoning Board of Appeals has been making determinations concerning these types of applications since 1927 when the City of Mount Vernon created and enacted a Zoning Code.
The City of Mount Vernon is required by New York State Law to have a Zoning Board of Appeals to hear any grievances or discrepancies of the Mount Vernon Zoning Code. Therefore, the six-member Zoning Board of Appeals has specific duties that are clearly identified by New York State Law. The Zoning Board of Appeals is tasked with granting use variances, area variances as well as the interpretation of the Mount Vernon Zoning Code.
Reviewing use variances requires the Zoning Board of Appeals to examine whether the proposed use of land for a purpose which is otherwise not allowed or is prohibited by the applicable zoning regulations should be permitted.
The granting of area variances authorizes the Zoning Board of Appeals to determine whether the use of land in a manner which is not allowed by the dimensional or physical requirements of the applicable zoning regulations should be granted.
The interpretation of the Mount Vernon Zoning Code is also a power of the Zoning Board of Appeals; wherein, the Board makes a determination regarding the context and intent of the Mount Vernon Zoning Code.
Forms & Procedures
- ZBA Application_update May 2022.pdf
- Zoning Board Application Materials Checklist and Submission Review
- Zoning Board Submission Process and Instructions 2016_update
- Affidavit of Sign Posting_revise May 2022
- Zoning Board Consent-Objection Form_update 3-2022
- Zoning Board Legal Notice Example (edited)_revise May 2022
- Zoning Board_Notice of Public Hearing_Affidavit of Mailing_revised May 2022
- Short Environmental Assessment Form (PDF)
- Zoning Table Form Density (PDF)
- NYS Guidelines for Applicants to the Zoning Board of Appeals
- Area Variance Findings_checklist
- ZBA Rules of Procedure of 9-2019_updated April 2023